Thursday, September 2, 2010

Kids and Fitness Fun

Hello there! Today and yesterday can be summed up in two words: kids and fitness. I had my last two babysitting days for the summer, so I did a lot of playing. Since it has been SO hot in Boston my little guy and I headed for the Boston Aquarium yesterday (Wednesday). I have not been to the Aquarium since last summer, so it was really fun to look at all the exhibits again. Also, my little boy is a year older and can talk (he couldn't talk last summer) so it was really fun seeing him enjoy all the fish on a whole new level.


Everything at the Aquarium went great, until we went to leave. As we were leaving, I got sucked into going in the gift shop. Once in there I was asked to buy him a toy. I said no and then got a million "Why" to which I responded "Sorry ____ I do not have any money." Then I got tears! Needless to say I got him home in one piece but a little sad. When his mom got home he told her "Lauren didn't buy a toy because she has no money" (his mom told me today he repeated that phrase to her and his dad multiple times that night). Oops!

Once home I ellipticalled for 15 minutes and then went to an hour Total Body Conditioning class. This is my FAVORITE class ever invented. I thought I LOVED Body Pump, but this is by far my favorite fitness class. This class includes both strength moves and cardio conditioning moves and does not give one break. It was so hard I had to stop a few times during the class. Also, I like (although intimidating) it when an instructor shows an example of the move, then walks around the class to confirm all the participants are doing the moves correctly. Oh I LOVE Total Body Conditioning!!!!

Dinner was a quick summer vegetable sauce. All I did was saute some zucchini, mushrooms and diced tomatoes in garlic and EVOO. Once the sauce was simmering I added some cheese to make a creamier consistency. Then I added some hot pepper, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and drizzled the sauce over pasta. YUM!


Today (Thursday) I woke up around 8:00 and had a bowl of instant oats with flax. I think I added a little to much water because the oats came out a little soggy : ( Oh well, nothing a little peanut butter, jam, coconut and raisins can't solve.


Today at babysitting we attempted to go to the park, but it was WAY TO HOT! We barely lasted 30 minutes and reverted back to the library for air conditioning. At the library we played with Legos (big and small), read books and made some friends.

After babysitting, I went to the gym to do a speed workout. I actually planned to go run up and down Beacon Hill, but had to change plans do to the weather. My workout was as follows:

Miles               Speed        Incline
.5(warm up)    6.0              1.0
.25                  8.0               .5
.15                  6.3               .5
.25                  8.0               .5
.15                  6.3               .5
.25                8.0-8.3          .5
.15                  6.3               .5
.25               8.0-8.3           .5
.15                  6.3              .5
.25               8.3-8.5           .5
.15                 6.3               .5
.25               8.3-8.5           .5
.15                 6.3               .5
.25              8.5-9.0            .5
.15                 6.3               .5
.25              8.5-9.0            .5
.10                 6.3               .5
.50                 6.0              1.0

Distance: 4.2 miles
Time: 35:40

This was a good work out. Tough, but I felt pretty good. However, when the work out was over my body felt really, really soar and both my knees started to hurt, especially my left knee (the injured one). I think this is due to many days of working out. My usual "rest" day (last Friday) included a lot of walking, especially up hill, so it did not end up being a "rest" day. I am definitely taking a REST day tomorrow. I also tried something different than I usually do during this speed workout and decreased my rest time in between each 400 (.25 miles). Although I felt strong and ready to complete my next set, this shorter "rest" time may have contributed to my soar/hurt knees. I did a LOT of stretching (including foam rolling) after my workout. Once home I iced both knees for 10 minutes.

As Evan and I were walking home from the gym, we passed a small farmers' market and decided to stop and buy some bread to go with dinner.




However, we got roped in to buying some Carrot Cake bread too. SO GOOD.


When we got home I had a piece with peanut butter.


Dinner tonight will be simple because I am going out to the bars with a girlfriend. We are having this  canned soup.


Some of the baguette from above and a salad will also be had. Have a great night and I will be back tomorrow with a review of some running articles I recently read. Stay tuned...........

No comments:

Post a Comment