Sunday, September 12, 2010

10 Miles to Victory!

I DID IT!! I RAN 10 MILES!! Let me back up.....

Yesterday I had a lovely day walking around Boston with my aunts, mom and cousin. Unfortunately, I must have had the time or day wrong, but we had missed the art show/farmer's market in the South End. Oh Well, it was a good excuse to get my family in to town! Instead, we wandered in and out of shops in the South End. One in particular was quite a hodgepodge of a store:


This store had everything from candy to very, very odd antiques:







We walked over to Newbury Street and went in Filene's Basement and Marshalls. I bought a belt for only $10 and a shirt for $5, holy deals!!!

After we got tired from shopping, we went in search of dinner. We decided on Joe's American Bar and Grill on Newbury. There was a 30 minute wait, so we grabbed a drink at the bar. I had a glass of Savignon Blanc. It was OK, not great.



Once seated we all immediately inhaled the bread basket and quickly asked for seconds. I LOVE BREAD!! I think I ate a whole loaf myself! Since we were all really full from the bread, we only ordered salads and soups for dinner. I split the Newbury Salad with my mom. This salad had spinach, romaine hearts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, raisins, bacon, apples, chopped eggs, tomatoes, croutons, rotisserie chickens and shaved onions. I used a little balsamic vinaigrette for dressing.


I also order a cup of the house soup: Chicken Barley and Orzo. YUM!


And the best part of the dinner was the brownie sundae we all split for dessert. It was HUGE, the picture does not do it justice!!!


I woke up this morning around 9 (I again had a really, really hard time sleeping due to the anticipation of the run) and made myself my usual breakfast: toast, PB and banana apple (we were all out of bananas) with cinnamon on top. 



I set off on my run around 10:30. I do not know if it was the addition of the apple or I did not give myself enough time to digest, but I could feel my breakfast in my tummy for pretty much the whole run. However, overall it was a pretty good run (until the end) and I finished 10 miles in 1 hour and 28 minutes. Here are my splits:

Distance: 10 miles
Time: 1:28:00
Mile 1: 8:48
Mile 2: 8:19
Mile 3: 8:37
Mile 4: 8:52
Mile 5: 8:41
Mile 6: 8:47
Mile 7: 8:42
Mile 8: 8:50
Mile 9: 8:55
Mile 10: 9:24

A couple of factors affected this run. The first was that I wanted to run a different route this time, so I tried to run part of the half marathon course. However, there is a part of it that is in a wooded area and can be somewhat dangerous if there are not a lot of people around. Today was one of those days when there was no one around and after running a few minutes I felt a little scared and decided to turn around. At this point I realized I was close to Brookline and decided to change up my route a little bit (I usually run around the Charles River) and run around Brookline. At the time this sounded like a good idea, but I quickly found out that it was not! Today was the Jimmy Fund Walk and I ran right into their route. Haha, so for most of my run I was trying to dodge both people and traffic. Also, Brookline has A LOT more hills than I am used to (the Charles has NONE), so this long run was a bit more challenging than I expected. Anyways, I still felt great and even forgot to take a break and stretch. As I was approaching mile 7 I realized I had not stopped to stretch and decided to pull over a do some light stretching before I finished my run. 

BAD IDEA!!!

As soon as I started running again, my legs immediately locked up. It was SUCH a struggle to continue to run those last 3 miles; I thought I was going to quit multiple times!!! I made it, but those last 3 miles were probably some of the hardest miles I have EVER run!

Once home, I stretched for about 20 minutes and iced my knees for 15. I showered and quickly refueled with the rest of the food in our fridge.

open-face with goat cheese and tomatoes, gold fish, peppers
Cantaloupe
I am currently relaxing on my couch watching TV and eating a bowl of yogurt. I start my full-time internship tomorrow, so I am spending the rest of the day relaxing and preparing for the day!! I hope everyone had a great weekend!!

I leave you with a quote from a chocolate wrapper I ate yesterday:

"Be proud to just run the race, no matter the finish" Joni, Miami Lakes, Fl



No comments:

Post a Comment