Thursday, December 30, 2010

Girl with the Black Fit

For Christmas, Evan gave me a wonderful warm running outfit to complement my winter running. I have tried it out twice this week (one time being today!). And because he knows black is my FAVORITE color, the "fit" is ALL black!


The pants are Nike thermal insulated spandex and the jacket is Saucony and is a lightweight  windbreaker (with multiple pockets, reflectors and a cool light to use at night). After using the fit twice, I have to say I LOVE the pants; they are SO warm, but do not make my legs feel sweaty. I feel like I can run in all temps/conditions with these babies. The jacket is a nice extra layer. You definitely cannot wear it with only a t-shirt under it (at least not in the winter), but it is a nice complement to a long sleeve shirt. And I do have to say that I look pretty cool in it (haha)!!!


What do you wear running in the cold weather? 


Using my hot new fit, I ran 8 miles around my parents' neighborhood (we are staying with them for a few days). I decided to do a long run today because we are heading up to the mountains with friends for a long weekend and doubt there will be any form of exercising going on besides skiing. So 8 miles it was this morning, and here are my stats according to the Garmin (why does it work so much better in the 'burbs than in Boston??)

Distance: 8 miles
Duration: 1:9:30
Mile 1: 8:57
Mile 2: 8:38
Mile 3: 8:28
Mile 4: 8:50
Mile 5: 8:31
Mile 6: 8:23
Mile 7: 8:31
Mile 8: 9:12 (MAJOR, MAJOR hills!!!)

This run was challenging for many reasons! First the roads out here are a mess and there is deep snow and ice EVERYWHERE!! I tried stay to stay on the sidewalk whenever I could, but that is where the snow was the worst and it was to hard to run. My legs felt like they were running in place multiple times. However, when I did venture off the sidewalk I had to dodge multiple different cars coming my way! It was a very scary run! Especially because I kept going from street to sidewalk and then back to street. In addition, the hills around my parents' house are a nightmare. Almost the whole last mile was up hill!!! Anyways, the time is a minute and a half longer than my 8 mile run over the summer, but that run was done with no snow on the ground and in flat Boston. Oh well, no two runs are ever the same, at least not for me, but that is kinda what's fun about running!. But on a more positive note, my stomach and knees felt great and the weather was absolutely beautiful today!! Oh yea, and I had a pretty awesome outfit on!!!

------------

In other news, I met a few high school friends for lunch yesterday. We met up at the Rattlesnake in Boston. We enjoyed catching up (one friend that was there I hadn't seen in over 4 years!!!) and eating (and drinking) some yummy food. Over the course of the afternoon I enjoyed two Magic Hat #9's, which is one of my all time favorite beers! And ordered a swordfish sandwich and side salad for my entree.



This sandwich was surprisingly very good! I was not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised!!! The swordfish tasted fresh and the aioli sauce and olive tapenade were nice complements to the sandwich! It was a lovely afternoon and a great time with friends!


Unfortunately, I will not be able to post over the weekend because the Mountain house we are staying in does not have Internet access. So, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful night/day and the new year brings you lots of happiness!!! 

What are your New year plans? Anyone have any resolutions for the new year??


2 comments:

  1. You rock for running outside in the snow! Wow! I'm not sure I could do that! True dedication :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fit. I think I'll mentally file that one away as your Ninja "look."

    I don't run outside in the cold so while I do have some cropped tights and a fleece jacket + thermal top for the cold weather, I really stop once we get to mid-October in MN...Plus the light after work is crappy and I don't like running in the dark. Go figure.

    Have a happy and healthy New Year, lady!

    ReplyDelete