Thursday, February 3, 2011

Weight Maintenance

Good News, my groin is feeling much, much better today and I was even able to do a little running! However, now I have a little cold and my nose is a runny mess! So, I decided not to run with DreamFar today because I did not want to run outside and get sicker (especially in the cold and snow) and I also wasn't sure how my groin would hold up.

To the gym I went. Since my groin was feeling better I thought I would try the treadmill. I also have been hearing a lot about the Woodway in the blog world and decided to give it a try. The Woodway advertises that it provides better support than the traditional conveyor belt on a treadmill. I ended up running 7 miles in 62 minutes and felt great! As for my injured area, it did not hurt even a little and my nose actually stopped running for the first time all day.

The verdict on the Woodway: I LOVED it! I actually didn't feel much of a difference while I was running, just a little bumpier than normal (kinda like a country road). My shins felt funny while I was running, but not a bad funny, just different. But I really liked how my legs felt after the run; NO pain at all, especially my knees (which sometimes hurt after a treadmill run). I think I may have converted!

Have you used the Woodway? What are your thoughts?


A few posts back I talked about weight gain during marathon training. I received a few comments about eating healthy to maintain appropriate weight during marathon training (some people actually lost weight). Here are a few more tips I found about weight maintenance during training.

- Fuel appropriately for workouts and calculate how many calories are needed to fuel for the workout - consume that many calories before and during the workout to keep energy levels constant. You burn about 100 calories per mile. 

- Eat Smart! Choose foods that have high nutritional value and eat as much of those foods as your body needs to fuel properly for your run.

- Eat fewer calories during the day to lose excess weight. Besides fueling for runs, cut back on calorie consumption to a low but adequate level. For instance, keeping calorie consumption around 1800-2000 per day for women, or 2000-2500 for men, not including whatever is needed for workouts, will help maintain weight. 

- Weight train, especially programs that advertise high repetitions at low resistance (Body pump is a great class). 

Those are just a few, but I agree with the comments previously posted that if you are eating healthy during training, weight gain is normal. 

----------

I leave you with a glimpse of my spicy diner: Shrimp and veggie curry stir fry over basmati rice!


Incredible!


Happy almost Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you were able to get back at running a little bit. Injuries (even light ones) are no fun! I've never tried the Woodway thing, actually. Never heard of it actually, I guess ya learn something new every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady, it's SO good to know that your groin is doing better - any injury always strikes a bit of fear into the heart of the runner.

    Thanks for sharing more marathon tips - Lord knows any and all are needed at this point :)

    ReplyDelete