Saturday, February 5, 2011

Beer and Bowling!

We are experiencing some wet weather here in Boston (at least it isn't snow!). Since it was raining, I decided to head back to my old pal Mr. Treadmill. I went back on the Woodway and ran a quick 6 miles in 53 minutes. Man, was it fast! I was sweating and huffing and puffing, but it was a good workout and I even sustained an 8.0 mph pace for a while! It was good to work up a sweat for the first time all week!

I am dealing with a little issue that I hope you guys can help out with....My training hasn't been going exactly as planned with all this snow and wedding stuff. So, I was kinda revisiting my race schedule for the spring. I noticed that a lot of bloggers are running a "Run to Remember" in Boston at the end of May. However, if I run the Providence marathon (with the DreamFar team) at the beginning of May it might be too much running in one month for my legs. However, I noticed that the The Cox marathon (Providence marathon) also offers a half marathon option at the same time/day/and place as the full marathon. So, I was thinking of running both the Cox half marathon at the beginning of May (instead of the full marathon) and then the "Run to Remember" half marathon at the end of May. There is also the New York marathon in the Fall or the Lowell marathon, and it would be SO much nicer training for my first marathon in the summer months........

What do you guys think? Do you think that would be too much running in the month of May? Would it be a bad thing not to run a marathon this spring and wait till the Fall of next year? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!


In other news, I had a lovely afternoon of beer and bowling today! Evan, unfortunately, had to work so I met my mom and brother for a little bowling. I had heard of this new bowling alley that opened up in Davis Square, so when we were thinking of something to do on a rainy winter afternoon I suggested checking it out!


The place was called Sacco's Bowl Haven and man was it cool! It is owned by Flatbread's, a pizza company, that offers a 10 lane bowling alley with a pizza restaurant attached. Flatbread's is an organic, locally grown minded restaurant that features unique pizzas and local beers. Also most of the tables and the bar were made from recycled bowling lanes.




VERY COOL!! We weren't hungry for pizza, but since there was a one to two hour wait we decided to sit at the bar and grab a beer! I started with a Ommegang Carranza-- Mmmm, yum!


After we finished our first round, our lane was ready and we started bowling! It was a LOT of fun, but I was not very good.....




As we bowled, I sipped on a glass of organic Cabernet Savigon that was dry and spicy and just how I like it!


Needless to say I lost both strings, but I had SUCH a fun time! I will definitely need to take Evan back, so I can practice for a future rematch!

Relaxing the rest of the night and getting ready for the big game tomorrow!

Any fun Super Bowl plans?

3 comments:

  1. Running is meant to be fun. So I think that you can and should do both of the halfs in May. To combat the exhaustion thing, don't go all-out in the first one...you know? You're way more likely to injure if you're pushing too hard, so if you take it easy and enjoy the ride, you'll be in a good place for the race at the end of May and you can push harder then.

    I know with wedding planning and like the actual event, I've had to re-arrange a ton of race things that I'd like to do and their time frame(hence, running a marathon in October). The key is that you make them happen at some point.

    Oh, and as for the Super Bowl, Artichoke Dip with Green Chiles at a friend's house. Nothing TOO fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for the halfs, why not right? It's probably a good call (your legs will thank you!) for not over doing it in May anyways! Besides, 1/2s are SO fun and then you can really put the time/effort into whatever marathon you feel like doing in the fall! :)

    ReplyDelete