Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Good shoes that lead to good runs!

Hello! I hoped you liked my San Francisco recap. But all good things must come to an end, SO back to reality...

On Saturday, I purchased (finally) a new pair of sneakers. Again, I went to Marathon Sports. After trying a few pairs and actually running in three, I decided to stick with the Brooks endurance (an updated  version of the brand I already have).



So far so good. I have gone on two runs with them and both runs felt amazing. I can really tell I needed new shoes once I put on the new guys. I try to change my shoes every 4-6 months depending on how much I run. I had my old shoes for 5 months, but I also ran a 1/2 marathon in them. So, I was definitely in need of new shoes! I will let you know how they hold up when I get a few more runs in.

As for those runs.....

Saturday I did my first long run in a while and it felt great (but hard)! The weather was great and the shoes felt good and I went fast! Here are my splits:

Distance: 8 miles
Duration: 1:07:22
Mile 1: 9:15
Mile 2: 8:35
Mile 3: 8:33
Mile 4: 7:58
Mile 5: 8:14
Mile 6: 8:12
Mile 7: 8:43
Mile 8: 8:27

I completed the run around the Charles River, so it was relatively flat. Like I said before I have not run 8 miles in a while, so this run was pretty tough and I was out of breath when I arrived home. However, all day I was glowing and my legs felt great because of my new shoes (think!).

Today, I took my run inside (Boston's weather turned cold again). I did a speed workout on the treadmill: .5 mile warm up, 6 x 400s (with 400 rest in between), .5 mile cool down. I completed the whole run in 35 minutes and covered 4 miles. I did my first 400s at a 8mph, second two at 8.5mph and last two at 9.0mph. It was really, really tough! I was, again, huffing and puffing, but my legs felt great! Thank you new shoes!!

What brand of running shoes do you like? How often do you change your sneakers?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Amen to Brooks, lady! You know that's how I roll :)

    I change mine every ~400 miles or when I feel them start to go. Lately, that's been every four months?

    ReplyDelete
  2. O great, now I have NO chance to beat you on Sunday with those new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this!!!! I have been procrastinating getting running shoes for absolutely NO reason other than being busy. I have a gilt city voucher to SEAC, so I'm looking forward to using that on a new pair of running kicks!

    Also, I totally dropped the ball and forgot to tell you about the pub run we had tonight! The next one is March 24th, I will shoot you an email to check in beforehand!

    ReplyDelete