Friday, August 20, 2010

Violence and Athletes

I hope you are having a good Friday! Yesterday started out with a nice relaxing breakfast watching Ellen and doing laundry.



For breakfest I had a combination of Peanut Butter Puffins, Frosted Shredded Wheat, banana, nonfat milk and a scoop of peanut butter. Served with coffee.

After some diagestion I headed over to the gym for a speed work out (I know I said I don't like treadmills, but it has just been too hot in Boston to run). I warmed up with a 1/2 mile at a 10 minute mile pace, then did 7 x 400 at a pace that varied between 6:40-7:30 (9.0-8.0). After each 400 I jogged for two minutes at a 10 minute mile pace. I concluded with a half mile cool down at a 10 minute mile pace. I completed about 4.6 miles in 40 minutes.

Once home and showered and fixed myself some lunch of olive hummus, bread, carrots, a caprese salad with a balsamic reduction sauce and grapes.




Later on in the day included some babysitting, beer tasting and dinner at a local resturant Six Burner. At dinner Evan and I sat outside on the patio (sorry I forgot to take pictures) and split the house salad to start and then I got the BBQ pulled chicken on a whole wheat wrap while Evan got the lobster mac and cheese. It was delicious and VERY affordable. 

Today I want to talk about an article I recently read on a double standard when it comes to sports athletes and domestic violence. It stems from a recent event in which a frustrated pitcher took out his anger on his girlfriend's father. He sent the man to the hospital! This was his son's grandfather people (Karma got the best of him, however, because during the beating he injured his thumb and is thus out for the season)! The article goes on to discusses how recently many athletes have been accused of domestic violence, but have not suffered the consequences. I have to say that I am not surprised. Most famous people (athletes, celebrities, politicians) seem to be held at a different standard than normal people. Our society seems to brush it under the rug in order for them to continue to play. We idolize these men and women and think of them as more than human. We have so much time and money invested into these players that to see them not play would be more disappointing than having them get away with hitting their wife. What kind of messege is this sending, especially to kids that look up to these players and see them as "role models." 

On another note, why is it that you hear about more athletes engaged in violence than celebrities? I think it is because they have to much testosterone in their bodies (ahem, steroids, ahem). What do you think? Why is there a double standard when it comes to sports athletes and domestic violence? Why are more athletes engaged in violence?

Anyway, today I am taking the "day off" from working out, but I might walk 3 miles to Harvard Square to meet my dad for lunch. Have a GREAT Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment