Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spinning, Yoga, and Walking... Oh My!

Thank you all for your advice and comments regarding my injury, it means SO much to me!!! So, needless to say there was no running this weekend! I am actually pretty sad because it was an amazing (weather wise) weekend in Boston. Today, I think, the high is 65 and sunny! However, I tried not to let the weather and the fact that I could be running in a race on this beautiful day get me down.

I took a wonderful spinning class Saturday morning and my legs did not hurt me one bit. I approached the teacher after class (because she seemed to really know her stuff) and asked about my injury. She explained that it sounds like the muscles below my knee and above my knee must be VERY tight. She didn't think it was too serious because it does not hurt during non impact activity. Her suggestions were to NOT run, stretch, ice and foam roll the areas above and below the knee.

After spin I spent some time with the foam roller. Immediately after rolling out my IT band and calf muscle, I got a BAD charlie horse in my calf (the same leg with the injury). It was really bad (and embarrassing in the gym) because I was jumping around and making weird faces. Maybe I hit something while rolling....

In addition, last night while sleeping I awoke to a major pain in my right (the other leg) quad. What is going on with my body??? So, I decided to cancel my plans of stairs and weight lifting to attend a yoga class today (I am really trying hard to listen to my body). The yoga class was OK today. It was the same studio as before, but a basic class. It was good, but went a little too slow for my liking. I think I will try to stick mainly to the intermediate classes. Anyways, it was still GREAT to get some good stretching in. I think my body was thanking me.

After the class was through I walked outside to AMAZING weather and was instantly depressed that I was not running Doyle's and taking advantage of this beautiful day. So, in order to make myself feel a little better I thought even though I can't run, I can still walk. And I went on a nice 3 mile walk around the city through Boston Common and Beacon Hill. It was actually nice for a change to SLOW down and enjoy the amazing city of Boston.

I know in my last post I mentioned that I might walk the race, but this weekend just got SO busy and I have an intense week coming up that I couldn't commit to the time it would take to get there, walk 5 miles and go to an after party (b/c I couldn't go all the way to the race without participating in the after party, come on...haha). So, I decided to just forgo the race and concentrate on getting better and preparing for my week.

If you ran the Doyle's race how did it go? 


In other news, I had a nice night out with friends last night. We dined at the OtherSide Cafe, a vegetarian heavy restaurant with a GREAT beer list. The table started with the nachos with vegetarian chili and guacamole.

I ordered a Pretty Things Jack D'Or, which was amazing and actually a little heavy for a Saison style beer.


For my entree, I ordered the "Mock Chicken Salad," which was ground pecans, cashews & sunflower seeds mixed with cucumbers, celery and tart green apples, served over simple green salad with a lemon wedge. It was VERY good and came with a nice and soft roll.


Sorry the pictures came out HORRIBLE because the lighting was NOT good!!
After dinner the group headed over to Kings for some bowling. Although we had to wait a little bit for a lane it was a fun night!! 









Even though I am not much of a bowler, it was still a GREAT night!! Hope you all had a good weekend and those of you who ran the Doyle's race (or anything other races) I hope you had a great race!! 

I am not sure what my blog schedule will be like this week because it is going to be a CRAZY week, but I will try my best. Have a GREAT week!!!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, we missed you at Doyle's! I enjoyed the race today, but unfortunately my legs were so tight I really felt like I never got going! My time was decent, not great, so I guess I shouldn't be so negative. I really loved the course and the after party scene was wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady, I'm sorry that your legs are still in shambles - are you eating enough potassium? I know I get absolutely awful leg cramps in the middle of the night if I skip my daily naner. Go figure right?

    For what it's worth, once I had to pirate-walk my way back home (three miles!) when I had to call it quits halfway through a run. There's nothing better than trying to figure out what all the drivers passing you must think.

    ReplyDelete